02 April 2009

Ninna Beret / Silk Cocoon Cardigan

Ninna Beret
Last week or so I finished a Ninna Beret for my daughter. As she seems to have a rather big head, I went for the big size. It seemed I got good gauge, but it turned out too big, even if you consider downsizing it with an elastic band. I decided it would be easier to finish the beret and leave it as it was --big enough for an adult-- and start a new one. So next time I will cast on a couple fewer stitches for each wedge.

My present project is the Silk Cocoon Cardigan by Connie Chang Chinchio, from the spring/09 issue of IW Knits. I ordered 9 skeins of Blue Sky Alpacas Alpaca Silk from Get Knitted. It took about 4 weeks to come over from England to Spain as, I guess, it was on back order. I chose Amethyst and I love both the yarn and the colour. Some mention it not being soft enough because of the alpaca guard hairs, but I have put it close to my neck and I feel it soft enough. The 50% silk content give it some drape and a beautiful sheen.

So far, I am over with the back and left front. The right front is just started. As I have a one-week holiday next week, I think it will very likely be finished then.

Silk Cocoon Cardigan

SP La semana pasada o así acabé una boina Ninna que había empezado para mi hija. Como parece tener la cabeza más bien grande, me decidí por la talla mayor. Parecía que la muestra estaba bien pero la boina salió demasiado grande, incluso si consideramos que con la cinta elástica se puede resolver este problema. Decidí que iba a ser más fácil acabar la boina y dejarla como estaba --suficientemente grande como para un adulto-- y comenzar una nueva. Así que con la lana que me queda, lo intentaré de nuevo con un par de puntos menos por cada sección.

En este momento trabajo en el Silk Cocoon Cardigan de Connie Chang Chinchio, del número de primavera 2009 de IW Knits. Pedí 9 madejas de Alpaca Silk de Blue Sky Alpacas en Get Knitted. Tardó unas cuatro semanas en venir desde Inglaterra, porque no estaba disponible en ese momento y supongo que tendrían que pedirla. Pero el servicio fue bueno. Elegí el color Amatista, y al natural es bastante bonito. La lana también es un primor y a mí me parece suficientemente suave como para llevarla pegada al cuerpo a pesar de los pelos más recios de la alpaca, que pican a algunas personas. El 50% de contenido en seda le da suficiente caída y un brillo bonito. Me gusta.

Hasta el momento he acabado la espalda y un delantero. Acabo de empezar el otro y, como tengo una semana de vacaciones de Semana Santa, creo que no tardaré en terminarla.


Alpaca Silk

No comments: