15 January 2007

This and that ...

Well, Sofia's cardigan wasn't ready in time to be delivered by the Three Wise Men. It nearly did, but in the last moment, I decided I didn't much like the way it was going: I ripped the sleeves (which were nearly complete) and the back and fronts from underarm up. I have to say that it crossed my mind to rip the whole thing. Then, I forgot about it for a couple of days and I am at it again.

SP La chaqueta de Sofía no llegó a tiempo para el día de Reyes. Faltó poco, pero, en el último momento, decidí que no me gustaba mucho el camino que llevaba y deshice las mangas (que estaban casi terminadas), así como la espalda y los delanteros hasta la sisa. Se me pasó por la cabeza deshacela por completo, pero me contuve. Luego, la olvidé un par de días y ahora, he vuelto a trabajar en ella.

modular knitting

The good thing is that I've taught myself to knit a module - yes, only one for the moment. I had seen a scarf in a shop that called my attention. It didn't consist in modules exactly; it was rather done in garter stitch shaped like an arrow. I might have seen modular knitting before in afghans and jackets but had not paid much attention to it since I am more a monochromatic knitter. However, while searching the internet for something that looked a bit like the afore mentioned scarf, I came across some fantastic multicoloured designs and garments. I searched a bit further and found some free patterns -not as many as you can find of other techniques- and books. So I have knitted my first square (whose technique may very well be adapted for a scarf like the one I'd seen) and ordered a book : Modular Knits by Iris Schreier.






SP La buena noticia es que he aprendido a tejer un 'modulo'(¿se dice así?). Ví una bufanda en una tienda que me llamó la atención. No era de módulos, sino más bien de punto musgo y terminaba en punta de flecha. Puede que hubiera visto antes punto modular en mantas o chaquetas, pero nunca le presté mucha atención porque mi punto es generalmente monócromo. Sin embargo, cuando buscaba en internet algo parecido a la susodicha bufanda, encontré preciosos diseños y prendas. Busqué un poco más y encontré algún patrón gratuito -no muchos- y algún libro que finalmente he pedido a Amazon: Modular Knits de Iris Schreier.


My third comment is for the january issue of Mani di Fata. I find the knitting projects a bit disappointing this time. I have to say that I have a love-hate relationship with this magazine. Sometimes, I tell myself that I should stop buying it, but I don't. I find it somewhat expensive considering that I doesn't usually offer the patterns of the embroidery works it shows, neither tells you which number colors of Mouliné cotton have been used. No, you have to buy the pattern and, only then, you will know the rest. You can also buy the pattern (or the whole kit) on-line but, in that case, you will have to order the magazine for the instructions. Most part of it is a catalogue of the shop (Canetta) that also publishes the magazine. Nevertheless, the pictures are BEAUTIFUL and the wonderful projects leave me open-mouthed. I have to say that there is an extra drawback when you order on-line from out of Italy: the Italian post is so expensive, you cannot expect to pay less than 30€ for any order. As for the knitting and crocheted proposals, yes, you will find all the explanations and patterns although the yarn is always Canetta's own. Unfortunately, this month, I don't find any knitted things that fit my style. Pity! Some other day I will take pictures of the material I ordered from them. For the moment, here is this is the present issue cover.


















SP El tercer párrafo de hoy va dedicado al número actual de Mani di Fata. Esta vez las labores de punto me han decepcionado un poco. Tengo que decir que mi relación con esta revista es de amor y odio. A veces, me prometo no volver a comprarla, pero siempre pico. Aunque cuesta igual que otras, me parece algo cara ya que no aparecen los patrones de las labores de bordado ni te dice los números de los colores del algodón Mouliné que se utliza. No, tienes que comprar el patrón y, sólo en ese caso te enterarás del resto. Los patrones y diseños (o los kits completos) se pueden adquirir on-line, pero en ese caso, también hay que comprar el número correspondiente de la revista con las instrucciones, que en buena parte más bien parece un catálogo de Canetta, la tienda que también publica la revista. No obstante, las fotos son impresionantes y las labores me dejan boquiabierta aunque tengo que apuntar un inconveniente más si una hace un pedido desde fuera de Italia: el correo italiano es carísimo y ningún envío cuesta menos de 30€. En cuanto a las labores de punto y ganchillo, estas sí que vienen explicadas (en italiano con traducción al español, si compras la revista en España) aunque la lana, claro está, siempre es de la marca Canetta. Desgraciadamente, este mes, no he encontrado ninguna labor de punto que me atraiga. Aquí está la portado. Otro día subiré fotos del material que les pedí.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi there, thanks for the lovely comment you left on my blog. I found the ruffled scarf pattern but was unable to email to you since I don't have your contact info. Can you please email me:)